Monday, April 19, 2010

New Puppy

I am supposed to be working on a way to do a quick and easy "semiotics for dummies" for my students tomorrow, but since there really is no way to introduce semiotics except to go the long and painful route, I am going to jettison that effort in favor of blogging about our new puppy.

Our new puppy is named Virginia Woof (a name my husband picked out long before we even had a dog), and she is a 5 month old Boston Terrier. We obtained her from a breeder--working with a breeder was a completely new experience for me, as I've usually in the past bought animals from the pound who have no apparent bonds with other humans--one of the perks of this arrangement (that I have a new appreciation for) is that people who have become attached to the dog do not call you for weeks afterward asking after the pet's health and temperament. In our case, the breeders consider their dogs and their respective litters to be like children, and so cutting the cord has proven to be rather difficult for them even though the check cleared about a week ago. That said, I don't mind giving an update once in a while, but really, what those updates amount to are something along the lines of, "yes, she's still teething, yes, she's still going on the floor, and yes, I'm still not going to take her up to my office with me so that she can spend every waking hour with me--she'll get over it."

Our new puppy came with several semi-promises, including that she was "semi" lead trained and "semi" potty trained. I've since learned that being "semi" potty trained is kind of like being a "little bit pregnant," as in, ain't no such damn thing. "Semi" potty trained means that Virginia goes when she needs to go wherever she happens to be at the time--if that somewhere happens to be outside, then so be it--I guess that's the semi-part--she gets it right about %50 percent of the time. But hey, it's kind of like that "acceptance of approximations" phase I tell my pedagogy students about--sometimes you have to recognize that "errors" are merely fumbles on the way to mastering the skill. But that may be a bad comparison after all, because teaching writing generally involves less lysol and fewer unpleasant smells...generally.

However, our new puppy is as cute and loving as she can be--all ears and big, inquisitive dark eyes. She loves to nap with us and makes us laugh by doing all kinds of cute puppy things to get a treat. So, despite any frustration with her learning curve, we are more than happy with our new four legged addition to the family.

7 comments:

Heather said...

Glad to find your blog! I googled "blogs about teaching writing," and I found this one! I love the puppy comparison! I wanted to share with somebody (anybody?) how I cried in front my students during a lesson on memoir. I teach composition. http://www.livewithflair.blogspot.com/

Sara and Brian said...

Thanks so much, Heather! I really should do more blogging about teaching writing--I'm teaching a course now about post colonial theory and composition that has been very interesting for me (and, hopefully, the students). I look forward to reading your post on memoir.

Sara and Brian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I love to hear about new puppies, and of course your comparisons made the entire blog a HOOT to read. I'm like you Sara, in that, although I LOVE my pets, I love me and my kids more, and I tend to put me and the kids well above the dogs on my list of "Things I REALLY give a shit about." I get in trouble a lot over this; Britton views her dog as an actual child. I think I would be more willing to agree with her if she would put a diaper on his ass and a pacifier in his whiny mouth. She just thinks I'm insensitive. I like real, human babies better. Forgive me.

I do love Boston Terriers, though, and the name is just great! She will learn quickly to pee and poop in places that are appropriate, or at least in places in the house that you won't notice for a while. LMAO!

Good luck with the potty training, and remember, positive reinforcement! :)

Sara and Brian said...

Ha! Thanks, Lisa. She's a quick study, but she tries to think of all kinds of ways to beat the system. Once she figured out that she got a treat whenever we asked her to "sit" and she did, she thought she'd just try sitting down permanently, since obviously that would earn her even more treats. Wrong! :)

Rachel 久允 said...

Please, post a picture of your pup! :D

If you'll take some unsolicited advice:
Don't scold her harshly for going when or where she's not supposed to (not that you do, but there it is for comment readers). Some puppies learn to--um, eat the evidence in order to get rid of it this way. Just take her outside immediately after she goes, so she's always associating the act with the outside, and when she does go outside, give her a treat then and there. The positive reinforcement will be stronger for teaching her the permanent habit of doing the duty outdoors.

I was never a dog person until Dean brought our beagle Willow into our lives, and I am so happy she's with us. Puppy love is wonderful!

summertime said...

Good luck with Miss Virginia! I hope the semi-training is past the semi point by now. Our pets are ridiculously spoiled, but we've been lucky in that they came potty trained (except the outdoor dog. He's outdoors for a lot of reasons...). If they hadn't come to us that way, we'd forever have semi-trained babies!